Saturday, February 25, 2006

My Brush With Nerd City.

I've never considered myself a nerd.

What nerd does?

That didn't stop me from going to the Comic Convention at the Javits center. There, my good friend Jon used his uncanny superpowers to get us in for free, wherein I witnessed possibly the single greatest gathering of nerds ever assembled in the history of the world. Thousands of them. Teen nerds. Pimply nerds. My-pants-are-down-to my-knees nerds. Girl nerds. Grown-up man-nerds. Nerd families. Nerds walking around with Boba Fett costumes. Whatever kind of nerd you can drum up in your mind, there was a generous helping of them at this show. Anyway, I don't collect comics anymore, but I do collect vintage toys and thought there might be a few scattered around. No such luck.

All was not lost; amongst the many nerd-clusters, action-figure displays and giveaway racks, I managed to find the largest plastic bag I have ever seen with a handle. (Sidebar: it doesn't take much to make me happy.) Check out the beer I put next to it for size reference. Because when you're trying to establish size reference, what's the first thing you think of? A beer.

This bag was big. It still is. Notice how the corners don't even make it into the photo.

Got an extra washing machine laying around? Put it in this bag. Need somewhere to put those four winter tires from your SUV? Grab this bag. Looking for a place to store that armoire? Drop it in this bag. You're supposed to jam this tent with all the useless free crap they give away. Of course, then you can't lift it. Not their problem.

Mila Jovovich is supposed to be there too, signing autographs, and just standing around looking hot.

For me, she's the only thing at that show worth taking home in that bag.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too survived the nerd-fest and collected my HUGE plastic bag. I did not bring anything home in it, as a matter of fact, I had to fold it 8 times to fit in the canvas bag I brought with me! Needless to say, it took up the whole canvas bag!

....I promise you now, although I am legally bound to a my nerd situation and know that my unborn children will inherit the plethora of action figures taking up our spare closets, I will do my best to not become a "nerd family."
Although I did laugh out-loud to that description!!!

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home