Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The heckler was Black. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Am I the only one siding with Kramer on this?

I know that hecklers are a fact of life for performers. I've always been worried about being in an audience that has one.

I saw the video. I saw the apology. More importantly, I heard some of the comments made by the rude asshole who initiated it. Have you ever known anyone personally who would yell out something inappropriate to a comedian in front of an entire audience? His parents must be very proud.

Performing is not as easy as it looks. Just ask my friend Jon, who does it almost every night. Richards was provoked and annoyed repeatedly by people who should have been asked to leave. And in defending himself, he kinda lost it. It doesn't make him a racist. For the record, I hear Black people – including a lot of people in my company – call each other "Nigger" all day long. They seem surprisingly okay with it, too.

Besides, where was the security? If I was a bouncer at the Laugh Factory, I'd start dusting off my resume right about now.

Then of course, the whole thing spiraled downward, until there were no more people in the audience. Make no mistake; folks in a crowd will do what everyone else in the crowd is doing. The collective intelligence of a large group is always dumber than the individuals. So as a few people left, the ones who remained felt dumb, and they got up and left too. No one wants to feel dumb. Believe me, most people weren't leaving because they were offended.

Some comedians take it well. I've seen Dane Cook rebound fabulously from a heckler. And of course, Jerry Seinfeld's famous response to a heckler was, "This is my office. Would you like it if I came to your office and heckled you?" Crowd goes crazy. Heckler is embarrassed. Show moves on. Mr. Richards wasn't so lucky. He made a bad choice, but it was a result of someone else's bad choice.

In fact, there are some theatres in my neighborhood I can't even go to anymore to because of all the... let's call them minorities, and I don't mean Jews. For some reason, certain cultures love to talk back to the screen. Not to mention bringing their crying 3-year old children to the movies, even if they're not appropriate for children. I don't care how upstanding and politically correct you are, you know exactly what I mean. And you know how fucking annoying and unfair it is to everyone else. Does that make me a racist?

Michael Richards didn't attack anyone. He defended himself poorly from someone else's attack on him. Why are we demonizing the "hecklee", simply because his response to an ongoing provocation wasn't nice? You won't see any White people up in arms over the "Cracker" comment. But then, I've never been a big proponent of a proportional response.

You still love Michael Richards, and you know it. He deserved a little bit of quiet during his performance, he was totally broken up over how he reacted, and I do believe he deserves a statement of apology from the guys in the audience who started this whole thing.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are an asshole Mark. Black or white hecklers at a standup comedy show are jerks for sure but for this guy to go off and say the very apparrent racist stuff he said is uncalled for. He freakin used the way black people used to be lynched in his tirade for christ's sakes!! Your analogy of black people calling each other nigger doesn't compare. I don't agree with them doing it to each other but when they do it it's not with hate and the vulgarity of what Richards did.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Mark Feigenson said...

For starters, I'd like to propose a toast to freedom of speech. It allows people like you to speak your mind, even if you don't have the courage to post your name or Web site. There's no doubt that what Richards said was hurtful and in poor taste. His comments about lynching, etc., were uncalled for, but don't even get me started on all the rap albums that spew hatred and violence in every direction. On the subject of Blacks calling each other Nigger, I personally think it's disgusting regardless of their intent, but hey, lots of Blacks do it. As for you thinking I'm an asshole, I totally accept your opinion. The difference between you and me is, I don't feel the need to insult people personally, and then hide behind my comments in anonymity. Anyway, it would have been nice if you placed a little bit more blame on the folks who started this whole thing in the first place, instead of the artist who got up on stage intending only to entertain people. Unlike Mel Gibsons' apology, Richards' was actually sincere, and the dirtbags who heckled him will do it again, no doubt. If you think I'M an asshole, go to ownanigger.com and get back to me.

1:12 AM  
Blogger Jon Clarke said...

Richards real problem was that he lost control in attacking the heckler. You're supposed to get the audience on your side in that situation. And if you're going to go that far out, it's got to be a stab. In quick and pull back fast.

Richards got so angry at the hecklers that he took it out on the whole room. That's a serious mistake.

The end result? It's been harder to get people into ANY comedy club this week.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Mark Feigenson said...

I think you're absolutely right, Jon. Which sucks, because I'm pretty sure THIS was the week you were destined to become famous. It may have to wait until next week now. Maybe I'll come see you soon. When is Renee making me cookies again, btw?

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew you were a tool, I just didn't realize how bad it had become.

First, don't rip on someone for being anonymous. Anonymity is what has made the Internet prosper and your comment is the digital equivalent of saying, "Papers, please." It simply isn't relevant and shouldn't diminish his opinion in any way. Hell, I'd be thankful someone not related to you is reading your blog.

Second, I'm not sure what rap albums, and their content, have to do with what some guy said on stage at a comedy club. One topic at a time, buddy.

Third, the double standard behind the use of the N-word is just one of the paradoxes of modern culture. It's ok for black people to say it, and it's not for everyone else. Does it make sense? Of course not. Richard Pryor tried for years to diminish the venom in that word but failed. Richards wasn't doing that, he was deliberately using it to put someone in their place. We're all a little bit racist (as the Avenue Q song goes) but his bubbled up to the surface in a particularly ugly way. And calling someone a 'cracker' is not at all in the same league.

Fourth, I don't agree with your view of the heckler. I wouldn't do it myself and would, like you, shrink in my chair if it happened while I was in the audience. But, as I understand it, Michael Richards sucked. He wasn't funny. And the dude clearly felt he wasn't getting his money's worth. Maybe there was a $30 cover. I'd be pretty pissed too. Hecklers are a big part of stand-up and Richards is a fool if he didn't know that. Most comedians are ready for it or they don't belong on stage.

Fifth, I doubt the apology's sincerity. The club owner said that Richards agreed to apologize the following night during his performance but didn't. He only did it after the video was made public. You don't get an award for that.

Lastly, I'll just say that you can't have it both ways. Richards has said he lost control, said terrible things he didn't mean and apologized to everyone in the audience. So which is it? Do you think he was sincere or do you think the heckler is a dirtbag?

And I'll stay anonymous, thank you very much. But here's a clue. We used to cross streams when we were little.

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.thatvideosite.com/video/3641

matt lauer interviews the hecklers

11:45 AM  
Blogger Mark Feigenson said...

Thanks man, I'll check it out when I get a moment.

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home