Monday, December 19, 2005

Two Opposable Thumbs Way Up.

I saw King Kong on Friday night with some friends. It was spectacular. Except for the family sitting behind us who brought their annoying, screaming, blabbering children. (2, 3, and about 10, I might add-- does this make a good parent? Hmm, 3-hour violent horror movie.... a pair of 2 and 3-year-old daughters, let's see...... hmmm. Stupid fuckhead.

Anyway, if you haven't seen this movie go see it. If you have, go see it again. It was that good. I'll never understand how Adrian Brody and Jack Black got paired up in a movie, but anyway. And Naomi Watts, well, she was great too. And I think she's totally hhhhhhhhhhot.








Kong ponders Aetna's disappointing selection
of in-network orthodontists.



But Kong stole the movie. I have seen all the CG movies-- from Toy Story 1 & 2 through Jurassic Park through Monsters Inc and The Incredibles and Harry Potter. Not to mention lots of movies that had CG elements-- Terminator 2, The Abyss, Men In Black, etc. And King Kong was far and away the most advanced, the most believable, the most natural CG I have ever seen. Kong's facial expressions were astonishing. This appeared to be a very, very expensive movie. And not just because it has three stars in it. Or because it required gazillions of terabytes of harddrive space and the industry's most talented computer animators.

It was those sets, oh the sets. I don't know what was more impressive; the non-CG island scenes, or the dead-on 1930s New York City scenes. But they were both really well done. They ruined dozens of vintage cars for this. And I love a movie with lots of gratuitus property destruction.

I know it's a remake, but I still found this movie to be brilliant and sad and exciting and ironic and scary and funny ...and days later I'm still talking about it. How many movies can do this?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, if you like the movie so much, marry it.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Brian Kunath said...

But my favorite part of the movie was when you turned on the chattering ninos and growled "Will you please, please stop talking!"

Even King Kong paused onscreen, furrowed his mighty brow and peered approvingly into the audience.

10:16 PM  
Blogger musicbeing said...

This reminds me of what I did last night. I'm a horrible movie watcher, talk so much and I saw "Brokeback Mountain". Needless to say I had a field day and was entertained.

Hehehe..I'm surprised no one said anything to me. I'm awful, but I couldn't help it! How could u not fucking laugh?

12:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We just watched the original and it was GREAT for its time and all that, but the facial expressions were funny--they show a close up of the "doll" with wide eyes and a big toothy face---it kind of killed the moment!

It was great to see the little things preserved in this re-make too!

I loved the tiny CG elements caught too; like the little bugs flying around - or was it the sulight picking up the tiny fur-flies around Kong---whichever, it was such a realistic detail!

...about the idiot family...that $30.75 would have been MUCH better spent paying a sitter!!!

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home