Thursday, January 04, 2007

Hello. I'm a technotard.

With one call, my phone/internet bill has just gone from $60/month down to $24.99.

And since all my training and experience tell me that $24.99 is considerably less than $60, I'm happy. Verizon is not.

I can live with that.

Just when I mustered the courage to eliminate my home phone, I woke up and discovered that we have lots more choices today than we did as recently as just two years ago.






















Perhaps I'm a little behind the times. What say I hit you over the head with my receiver and we see who's laughing then. Deal?


Who knew that you are no longer required to have an active phone line to have dsl? Most of the world, for sure. But maybe I just assumed it was necessary. Maybe it just made sense to the gerbil running around on the treadmill in my head. Maybe it was that Verizon says so in their 0-point legalease. Of course, Verizon is very careful not to promote dry-loop dsl, since some FCC law was enacted around 2004 preventing them from bundling (read: forcing dial tones down people's throat along with other services they may not need.) And that means they're probably hemorrhaging profits. Interestingly, I couldn't find a lot of news stories about this, but I found a ton of bloggers raving about it.

$35/month less is $420/year savings. This is not insignificant. Better yet, you see I can do basic math.

If you're a technofreak, like my brother, this whole thing is not news. Nor will you care about it if you have cable modem, or millions in the bank. But some of you dsl users might find this information useful. To me, it was like discovering fire; The simple truth is, you no longer need to have an active phone line to have dsl streaming through it.

The drawback is, you no longer have an active phone line. But so what? I have a fair amount of confidence that T-Mobile might actually be able to continue eeking out decent cell service 80% of the time. More importantly, I haven't made a call on my home phone in nearly three years. And the only people who call on that line anymore are telemarketers and politicians.

I don't know what they're going to do now, but I'll work through it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations & welcome to the 20th century (and yes, I know what I just typed).

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home